This popped up on my Twitter newsfeed the other day: The 100 greatest female characters in movies, and it caught my attention because I covered the topic of strong, female fighters in film as part of my university dissertation.
So I’ve had a quick look through the list, and while I’ll admit that I haven’t seen a lot of these films, I did come across some that I definitely rate, but more for the great acting as opposed to the character itself.
I was especially happy to see The Bride high up on the list from Kill Bill – I featured this character in my dissertation. Great casting and a great role!
Here’s the ones I picked out from the list:
74. Annie Porter, Speed (1994). Played by Sandra Bullock
63. Annie Wilkes, Misery (1990). Played by Kathy Bates
60. Mary Poppins, Mary Poppins (1964). Played by Julie Andrews.
Re-make due in 2018.
35. Ursa, Superman 2 (1980). Played by Sarah Douglas.
Arguably the best of the franchise.
You can follow Sarah on Twitter @TheSarahDouglas
29. Trinity, The Matrix (1999). Played by Carrie-Anne Moss
14. Matilda, Leon (1994). Played by Natalie Portman
8. The Bride, Kill Bill (2003). Played by Uma Thurman
6. Dorothy Gale, The Wizard of Oz (1939). Played by Judy Garland.
Who else would I add to the list?
Definitely these kick-ass characters/actresses:
*Katniss Everdeen, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013).
Played by Jennifer Lawrence. Read my review